First, a young woman who is one of the most assertive, tough, and composed people I've ever worked with cried to me about some issues she was having with a guy. His choices to deny the full nature of his sexuality (shall we say) have put her in a position to be lied to, have her health in jeopardy, and feel betrayed as a friend and an intimate partner. I have never seen her in such a vulnerable position, so it was tough for me to stay focused on problem solving--which was what she was looking for--instead of comforting her.
Another student came to me today (yes, I was in the office on a Sunday) and he's been arrested for a second DUI. He knows this is a huge mistake and that he now has to work through. It was hard for me to have the conversation of what to do next when I was so mad at him for making the same mistake twice. He's put so much of his future in jeopardy and there's really nothing that I can do to help him. He also has to learn that his actions have an impact broader than himself. His fraternity is having to restructure in preparation for his potential absence; the council will have to do a similar process; his brothers are having to deal with their frustration and anger with him to still provide support. He has to figure out what's next and how to deal with the consequences and all I can do is provide advice.
These issues are different and challenging, but it's something that I am glad that I can support my students through. I think it serves as a reminder to everyone, especially me, of the importance of my role as an advisor and student affairs semi-professional.
No comments:
Post a Comment